Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year, New You

My children are back to school today. I am alone with my tea and a messy house. We cleaned closets and found many clothes to donate. Not much else was accomplished winter break. John had surgery to remove a cyst from his eyebrow just before Christmas and he proved what a courageous and polite man he is even in the recovery room.

Reflecting on 2011 is a mixed one. There were so many wonderful things my children succeeded in and flourished. John, at almost six feet is amazing with great grades and athletic ability. He is a good friend to many and easy going. Jeremy is less shy and has had friends over and gone alone to their homes. An accomplishment! They have grown into two very kind and generous young men. I am so proud of them.

My husband has shown his dedication is unwavering and that he wears exhaustion well. We have continued on our no credit card trek. I am glad we have taken on paying off our debts together. The medical bills are mounting for me and I fear they may topple us. There is no end to the medical mysteries. I have met many wonderful people who are also doctors. They are working hard to help me. I managed to complicate things by smashing my toe but hoping it will heal properly. I have many resolutions to make this a healthier year and to give back to my family for all they have done for me.

We lost our dog Buzz in August and still miss him. The holidays were much quieter without him underfoot. I have made the mistake of going to pet stores and looking for puppies online. We have agreed to wait a year so that we can travel and adjust to losing a fifteen year old feisty dog that cannot be replaced.

Work has been wonderful this school year. I have loved all the new technology I have learned and even grown to love to teaching kindergarten and first graders whom last year scared me! Their teachers are all eager to help their students and I have enjoyed learning from them. Hopefully, I will be able to finish my ESL classes. I miss learning new things but our lack of credit has put a dent in coursework.

I must get back to my short story collections and novels I have started. I need to go to my writing group who has reached out to me so often. They are inspirational and just lovely. I need to remember I am a writer as well as all those other hats I wear.

Although 2012 has a lot of leftovers from 2011 for me I'd rather leave there, I will be as courageous as my teenager and as fun as my preteen. I will try to be as selfless as my husband and as hopeful as I was last year.

Welcome 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Here's to a new and better, calmer, more centered 2012 for me and for you: health and happiness!

    ReplyDelete