There were two Christmas gifts for me this year that define us.
My husband and I shop on black Friday every year, actually in the middle of the night on Thursday. It is hectic and tiring but so many deals it cannot be missed. It is also our time. Alone. Tradition.
This year has been a little hard for me physically and I could feel he wanted to do something more than we could afford. He also wanted to make things better and that is sometimes not possible without medical training. While shopping he suggested two gifts to me. It was my husband's way of making everything better. You must understand we have been "dating" since we were teenagers so there is not much he does not know about me.
Gift #1 was a Garmin. My sony GPS had died and there were many frantic, "I am lost, I will be late, The construction isn't on my directions" calls. I get lost a lot but I also drive to a lot of places I have never been before. He is always on the other line and has this uncanny ability to know precisely where I am and where I should be going. Like magic really. He also calms me down about the being lost and never found and about being late and rescheduled or about the news I may hear. He is forever talking me down.
His favorite line is, "It is what it is. You can do this." I secretly whisper, "Because you are who you are."
Gift #2 was a smart phone for all the same reasons as #1.
With two gifts he said he could solve all my problems.
Even after having said that we knew that was not true but the intentions were right. The appointments and unknown would remain but I would never be lost or without his voice to talk me down.
No comments:
Post a Comment