Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A girl I met

I met a girl who is unwanted.

She doesn't really know it or maybe doesn't understand it but she will, someday. I would love to put her in my bag and carry her home, she just might fit. I know someone would miss her, BUT not really miss who she is. She acts out sometimes for attention, no matter how bad because somewhere she is beginning to know what it is she's missing and what she's left without. I watch a hole forming in her chest, of want, of anger and of neglect. I wish she didn't feel so empty so I try to fill her with laughs and high fives but sometimes she cannot even take these, no where to put positives in such a negatively charged life so she tests me, dares me to leave her and let her down. I hold her hand. I watch her skip. I pull her along. See her go too far and hope she turns back. She always does. I remind my heart she is not mine. I prepare myself for her absence. I try to prepare her for her future, her life, where she is in charge so she does not repeat this life, bequeath this misery to a daughter all her own as so often happens with girls I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment