Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Elementary Lamaze

Everything tied and zipped
A sigh escapes me
Indecision slips
I can’t call him today
Can’t make sure everything is okay
Sure he could tough it out
Everything could be right
So I overstuff his pockets
With fresh Kleenex
I try to encourage safety and
Stress common sense
Without preaching
Or making the world dangerous

It is a time of catching my breath
Holding my tongue
Trying to reassure he and I
Even if a cough and cold
Are his greatest distress
An elementary Lamaze of slow sighs
And held breaths

School, I puff, School, I puff
Breathe through it
The walk goes by too quickly
His grip loosens in my hand
Quick short breaths as he runs
Toward some friends
Quick short breaths meant to ease my
Heart’s distress

Little cupped hand wave
There he goes, a blue dot in the crowd
Deep cleansing breath
He is there
He is there
My fingers find their way to my pockets
Lost already in the emptiness
The idleness
The quiet
Breathe, Just Breathe
It is only 8:00 A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment