Monday, June 24, 2013

The Earth is Flat


When your oldest child is a teenager you are aware that your world is suddenly too big and probably flat, no matter what you've learned. If the Earth were round he would eventually come back somewhere in your periphery if never again in your arms. Once he learned to walk he was walking away. And driving, well, forget it.

My husband and I were so excited to watch his first steps. we clapped and snapped pictures and encouraged more. He grew taller and taller, then he began to run. Away. When kindergarten started I watched kids hold their mother's desperately wailing, tears wetting their knees. My son stood in line looking forward. I waved to the back of his head. I should not have encouraged his development so much. Should not have cheered so loudly. He was growing up. He was growing away.

When he was eleven we got him a phone because he was old enough to walk home from school. We needed to be sure where he was. He also "walked around" a lot with his friends. The phone began to vibrate more and more yet when I called it was not on. The world was getting larger, its edge ever closer. He began to walk with girls and hold their hands.

In December when he was fifteen we barely uttered, "Happy birthday!" when he asked when he could start driver's ed. I threw up in my mouth. Driver's ed? Driver's ed led to driving. Driving led to more distance than a cell phone could report. Driving led to much more than holding hands. He had gone off the edge of the Earth.

(It is June and I have forgotten to sign him up for driver's ed and their calendar is filled...I am hoping for evidence of the shape of the Earth before I clap for this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment