
He is what I'd wished for. What I'd dreamed of while pregnant and rubbing the ever expanding belly. He had been a surprise. Even the fertility clinic insisted he could not exist. Delayed the tests that made his presence true. Maybe they were disappointed they were not responsible for his conception.
He has surprised us consistently since the day we knew he was part of our family. His love of learning and reading and finding out answers to his many wonderings has made my heart hum. Often his eight year old little pug nose is in a biography because he loves to learn facts about real people especially those he has learned about in school but the lessons weren't long enough or deep enough for his curiosities. Lately, he has discovered his older brother's stash of Dan Gutman books based on baseball card adventures and time travel. It is historical fiction at its best. Then he follows up the fiction with the reading of the biography. Some of the facts are beyond his eight years and he asks us many questions to work it out. His metacognition is strong.
"Mommy I know depression is like when that lady on the commercial is sad and she needs that medicine but it makes her have headaches and diarhea but in this book the people aren't sad they are in line at the bank for their money."
"That book's setting is during the depression. It was a time when the economy was failing and the banks could not give all the people all their money back. They were standing in line to get their own money back but some banks ran out."
"That would make me sad," he quips. Funny too.
"Yeah, me too. But you make me so happy," I say reaching to tousle his hair.
He smiles and exits quickly before I try to hug him.
No comments:
Post a Comment