Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Why I Write


I've been asked why I write and I have often asked myself why do I spend so much time writing and reading, reading and writing yet rarely query anything. Why I write is an easier answer than why I do not publish.

I write because I need to. For as long as I can remember I have written stories. (My mother would say I have told stories for as long as she can remember!) In elementary school I was told I had a great vocabulary, by middle school I had a way with words and in high school I was accused of plagiarism and then with many apologies I was put in advanced placement classes for reading and writing. A high school teacher helped me to realize I should and could go to college, the first in my family of seven to consider this. I studied elementary education because I believed that the profession was creative and dynamic and of course a wonderful way to make a difference. I wrote stories at night but never considered sharing them with anyone or having them published, it was simply a hobby. I only took one creative writing class as a senior elective and enjoyed the conversation and critique and was surprised by the praise. I have always found I write best when I am doing something else. When I have the least time and most stress a line or story idea will come to me and if I don't write it down it is usually gone. I have taken to keeping paper and pencil in the car and writing at red lights (which may be the title of my next novel, so don't steal it!) I have been teaching elementary school for 16 years in the district I attended. I find the struggles and successes of my students and community to be inspirational. The novel Letty I have been writing is a way to make things right for all of those students who have become "what ever happened tos...?" to me , those I feel I did not help enough. I also have collections of short stories about my boys that are fun to write and read. I have queried twice for my short stories and both were accepted for publication.

I write because it is as much a part of me as breathing, some breath better and deeper than others but each one necessary all the same. I still hope to get up enough nerve to make extra money at it or at least have a larger audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment